Growing up, I was a HUGE fan of Macaroni & Cheese. I probably would have eaten it every day if my mom would have let me! As an adult, I am now more aware of what "healthy eating" looks like, but that doesn't mean I have to give up my childhood favorites!
Below is a recipe for my favorite "bring out the inner child" food: HOMEMADE MAC & CHEESE!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 6 (1 cup)
- 1 (16 oz) package whole wheat macaroni
- 2 T butter
- 2 1/2 T whole wheat flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cups low fat milk
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (or you could use crushed crackers or croutons)
- 1 pinch paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook macaroni in boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite (I usually cook it about 2-3 mins LESS than what is recommended on package). Drain noodles.
- Melt 2 T butter in saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour to make a roux. Slowly add milk to roux, stirring constantly. Stir in cheddar and parmesan cheeses and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and sauce is thick (about 3 mins).
- Place macaroni in large baking dish and pour cheese sauce over macaroni. Stir well.
- Spread breadcrumbs over macaroni. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake in preheated oven until cheese sauce is hot and bread crumbs are browned, about 3o minutes.
- Eat & Enjoy!